FilmEnigmaBanner

FilmEnigmaBanner

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Monster Mania Day 7: Horror Remix

Written by Stu Cooper

Ever since moving to Texas 3 years ago, I have had a love affair with the Alamo Drafthouse theaters. I have seen so many amazing classic films there, and had a lot of fun times. They always go the extra mile to bring a unique experience to the table, and it's always fun. It makes you forget about the 12 dollar cheeseburger you have on your bill. One showing I recently attended was for a program called "Horror Remix" which is basically a 90-120 minute mash-up of various horror films and bits of pop culture. Apparently each installment has a common theme, but this past showing was the first time I had ever seen one. It was set up like a TV variety show hosted by two puppets. The puppets would intro the film and clips while making jokes. The jokes were hit or miss but the content was unquestionably hilarious and top notch. They showed an abridged version of "Don't Go to Sleep" a 1982 made for tv horror film. It was absolutely dreadful but hilarious, so a great choice in my book. Then the second half of the show was various absurd clips from different films. I actually was hoping to track down a list of the films used so I could sit and watch them in all their glory. But they are obscure films to say the least. One part featured was a short film starring a staple in cheesy film...Emilio Estevez! The short was called "The Bishop of Battle" and was about an arcade gamer with a serious psychotic addiction to a really goofy game. He vows to get to the final level and risks everything to do it. Literally everything. It's a great watch, I'll be sure to put it below.

Did I mention the show was free to attend? It was a great way to spend a night and I found myself laughing hysterically for the majority of the event. I can't wait to catch another installment and I hope it's soon. The clips they found were very random, almost like Tim and Eric mixed with 80's MTV, but they were things I've never seen before. I found myself shocked and in awe at some of the moments in the show. That's a great feeling to have, especially when watching horror films. If you have a chance to see a Horror Remix show, do it!

Find them on:

Horror Remix Facebook

Horror Remix Official Site

No comments:

Post a Comment