FilmEnigmaBanner

FilmEnigmaBanner

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Dictator Review

Written by Bobby Ramos

The Dictator (2012)

Starring Sacha Baron Cohen, Anna Faris

It has been about 3 years since we last saw Sacha Baron Cohen in the 2009 comedy “BRUNO”, plenty of time to cool and collect from the many what most sensitive people would label as “Controversial Moments”. I don't recall him doing anything else other than a guest voice spot on The Simpsons (Which sounded more like John Tuturro doing an accent). It must be said when seeing the trailers for this one I groaned a bit mainly cause it seemed like the whole style of Cohen's comedy has died off especially with the whole speaking in English then doing the overflow of gibberish that is supposed to be the native tongue of his character, but I decided to give it a watch cause well I would want people to do the same for any of my scripts.

The start of the film begins with a warm hearted dedication to the memory of Kim Jong Il, which I must say caught me off guard and had me laughing loud for a second. As the movie progressed it was an up and down ride of laughs and groans at how bad the jokes were either from cliché' or just there for shock value (EX: Cohen's character playing Nintendo Wii). But all together the movie was not bad, I love the way Cohen could be a total asshole and learn a lesson in life but still be a total asshole about it. I have been hearing a lot of people down talk this movie, I think mainly because they were expecting some of the “Is this real” style film making Cohen has become known for. I say since his first big character Ali G's film “Ali G In Da House” was forgotten by the masses, He felt the need to try his hand at an actual movie once again, sadly I don't think it was what he expected, I would say a lot of the comedy personalities that appear in this movie help out but most of them are just there and unless you get happy by the sight of them, You won't think any different of this movie.

So in closing I liked “The Dictator”, Call it my love for the outcast but I would say this movie is worth a redbox or netflix rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment