FilmEnigmaBanner

FilmEnigmaBanner

Sunday, June 23, 2013

R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Written by Stuart Cooper

This week the world lost an incredibly talented man by the name of James Gandolfini. He was 51 years old and was most famously known for his role as Tony Soprano on “The Sopranos”. James demonstrated on several occasions that he was an incredibly talented actor. I first noticed him in the 90's classic “True Romance” where he has a rather brutal fight scene with Patricia Arquette. Of course his role in Sopranos is what captured most people's attention. He brought the character of Tony Soprano to life in ways no other individual could have. Some people even consider “The Sopranos” to be one of the greatest shows in the history of television, and I'd have to agree.

During the course of the Sopranos I can remember several occasions where moments of Tony's life struck a cord with my own, and there were several moments that left me thinking, left me emotionally connected to the material. That is the sign of a good actor and a well written show. So it was my pleasure to live during a time frame where I got to see those episodes as they aired. I was one of the many people tuning in to the finale, scratching my head and wondering if Tony Soprano was alive or not? I wish we had an answer, or a Sopranos movie, or something. But he already gave us 10 years of his life on that show, it's just another sign that it was good. Society couldn't get enough of Tony Soprano, and neither could I. That's the power of entertainment.

Without James Gandolfini I seriously doubt the show would have done as well. As an actor he also played many other roles in almost every genre. I recall seeing a couple newer comedy films with him exercising his comedy chops. He certainly had a unique character and appeal. The world definitely lost a legend. I hope somewhere, somehow, James is enjoying a bowl of ice cream and resting it on his stomach, in that big recliner in the sky. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and his baby he left behind. At least they can draw some comfort in knowing his work will continue to be legendary and I'm sure people will be watching Sopranos re-runs 100 years from now.

Here is a small sample of some of my favorite James Gandolfini moments:

No comments:

Post a Comment